Friday, September 7, 2012

NUIG

Today is Friday. I've just completed my first week at the National University of Ireland. I have established the 5 classes I'm going to take this semester, although I can't register for them until the 17th. I am taking two Psychology classes: Developmental Psychology and Psychology of Learning. They don't seem too bad, they don't seem too exciting either, but they'll count for credit back home. I am really excited about my other three classes. I'm taking European Women's Gender Studies, Castles Colonists and Crannogs 1100-1350, and Medieval Ireland 5-9th century. I already really, really like these classes. My professors are funny and charming and seem really knowledgeable and easy going. The schooling is a lot different here in Ireland than back in the States. Lectures are constantly changing times, rooms, and even buildings. Sometimes it's a bit hard to just track down your class. Here they'll give you a long list of books and before the panic sets in they tell you to just pick one to read whenever you want. And I thought procrastination was bad back home.. :)

Next week is club/society week. I'm really looking forward to signing up for lots of things. One club I think I really want to join is Mountaineering Club. It seems pretty intense and I would have to actually buy some good hiking boots. But every Sunday they go to a different location around Ireland and trek through the land. I think this would be an amazing way to meet people and see the country. I also am thinking about joining the Archeology society because I hear they make cool trips to ancient castles and such. Basically, I am trying to join as many clubs/society that I can that will take me around Ireland. I also am thinking about looking into dance/yoga classes. We'll see how it all works out next week.

For the past several days it's been really beautiful. When you're in Ireland and the sky is blue and the sun is warm you have to be outside. After classes I would wander around the city. No, my sense of direction is not improving (although I am a lot more familiar with the city). What has improved is the fact I got my iPhone to work with an Irish SIM card which means.. Google Maps!! The glorious thing. Just plug in somewhere you want to go and follow yourself as a blue dot on the screen. Because I have that I don't mind getting lost around the city because I can always find my way back. A couple of days ago I had a desire to find an old bookstore. So, I entered in the name and voila. After 45 min of meandering around town I found it, and it was perfect. I even got a book and it seems really good so far. Today is the first all-grey soft rain day, so I don't feel bad sitting in my room in my pjs just relaxing and updating my friends and this blog.

The nightlife here is so much fun. I've never experienced anything quite like an Irish Pub. Pubs here are more of a past-time. The Irish people (young and old) go to pubs to hear music, eat food, catch a game, and catch up with each other. Everyone seems to know each other in the smaller pubs, it's really cozy. The big-famous pubs are filled with tourists, drunk partiers, and loud music- but that's a lot of fun too. After trying several different Irish beers I have to say my favorite is Smithwicks. I do love the Guinness but it's hard to drink it the whole night because it's so creamy. I was introduced to Smithwicks by a couple of really sweet French girls Elles (my Dutch roommate) and I met. I have been meeting a lot of Erasmus/International students mainly because I hang out with my roommates and they're both Erasmus students from Europe. I'm no longer regretting that I'm not in a program because the people who are just kind of stick to each other. I love meeting so many different people from different countries. I have made at least one friend, sometimes two or three (usually American), in each of my classes. That way if I miss a class I can get notes from them. #TTS :). I feel a lot more grounded now that I've made my room homey, am getting closer to my roommates, and am making friends. Woo! I think soon I'll feel settled enough to start exploring the land out of the city.

Another exciting thing. My parents have touched down in Ireland! They planned a trip to Ireland before I knew I was studying here so it works out. I'm glad they'll be able to see the West before the fall/winter rains come in and stubbornly refuse to leave. I'm going to be able to see them the middle of next week and next weekend when they come back to Galway. I'm really excited to show them Galway, as well as (hopefully) crash a couple of their excursions! It's a nice feeling just knowing they're in the country.

Here are some pictures I took with my iPhone around and about. :)


Oh you know. Just a ruin on my walk to the university. Nbd.


 Walking around Eyre Square.



Exploring the university.


Oh you know, wandered across a stone part of our university from the 1860s. 




The street musicians sound so beautiful, and so Irish. :)





Warming up after walking around!


Where I'm staying.

A farther look away. About 10 min walk from the university and 10 min from the city. 


Cute local stores you see when walking around. 




Galway is a bilingual city officially using both English and Gaelic (Irish). 


This is the cute little used bookstore I found while wandering.


Eating outside, enjoying the nice weather.


Roomates!



Just wandering around.


We found a huge park and the ocean! 




That's all.
Sláinte!!
:)

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are incredibly beautiful! The town looks amazing and it seems like you're having a blast. Maybe check REI for hiking boots? And please bring home your notes from your classes because they sound amazing and I want to be nerd out and experience them vicariously through you. Keep posting and have a blast, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being down at the river at sunset is amazing. I love that city :)

    Not knowing anyone makes you break out of your shell and do things you might not have done otherwise, yay!

    Smithwicks is my favorite too, Richard's is Kilkenny and it's pretty tasty too. Harp is easy to drink the whole night! Easy on the cider, wicked hangover!

    ReplyDelete